Helping orphans, reaching the lost and needy

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas Celebrations and Pork chops!

There's been lots of celebrating going on in the neighborhood as Christmas draws near. A big party's going on down the road where they are playing drums, singing and of all things, shooting their guns. We even had some pellets, or shells or something fall on our roof (told the boys to play inside today :). Jake drove by there and said that they were dancing with their guns and just shooting them off when ever they felt like it. At least they are all happy!

Can't remember if I blogged about this before but an American bloke that came to Cameroon for the summer taught us how to butcher pigs as it is really hard to get pork here and when you do get it, you never know how old it is. Well, Jake and I both enjoy a good pork chop, so we were thrilled when we got the chance to learn how to process all the pork, and when I say process, I mean we pick up the pig live and kicking and put sausages, chops, roasts, ribs in our freezer the next day. We did one before we went to the States and just did another one yesterday so we'll be having a lovely pork roast for Christmas (have to make some applesauce to go with it too). Anyway, will try to post some pictures in a bit, having a bit of trouble with the internet connection.

3 comments:

Julie Willis said...

Are you all processing it when it's hot out? I've only read of it being done in winter....I mean snow and ice! Sounds yummy.I've been craving ham.
I remember when unle(Jake's Dad) let me help himskin a deer. not sure I could do it now, unless I needed too!
Abbie wanted to come over for Seth party.Somehow she thought we could drive on over....needless to say she was very disappointed!
Did you know we got chickens? Ruth wants to send the boys presents. Email me the address. So much to say..... love ya!

Anonymous said...

Should of had Samuel show you how to butcher chickens when he was there. There quick and easy and if its a big chicken a coupleof meals
wewally

Anonymous said...

Lovely table Hol...... Very festive!
Did you have that "English pudding"? Probably not :)

Love the boys Christmas jammies..

And the tradition continues!

I love it and I love you all SOO much!

Grammie