Helping orphans, reaching the lost and needy

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Fun weekend

There's a couple in our neighbourhood that are of the Baha'i religion, he is American and She is from Iran. They've lived in Cameroon since the 70's and used to be school teachers and actually get a pension from the Cameroon government (which I'm still amazed at!). Anyway since moving up here we've been to their house a few times and we've had them over for dinner. She is an avid gardener so we often trade seeds and clippings. Anyway I had a free Friday afternoon (how did that happen?) this weekend so walked down to their house for a visit, I had a bunch of dill seeds I wanted to share. I ended up spending over an hour and half as we got in a really good discussion on "religion." I know very little about the Baha'i faith, only what they have told me but got a bit more insight into it. Basically they believe that all the religious leaders; Abraham, Jesus, Mohamed, Buddha, Krishna, etc. where manifestations of God and that their Leader (Bahaum?) is the last one, that he's the second coming of Jesus that Christians are still waiting for. They don't believe that Jesus truly is God but say they believe in the Bible. So of course I pointed out some scriptures where it tells us He is God, and other's about his second coming. One of my biggest points was that if all the religions are from God, why are they so different? They say they're not and all point to one thing. I explained the Christianity is unique in the fact that we can't do anything to earn our way into heaven, we just have to accept what Jesus has done for us by faith, I can't make God love me anymore just because I pray, or do good things, as is the emphasis of other religions. God loved me while I was still a sinner. So anyway it was a good talk and I hope it gets them thinking. Praying the Light of Jesus will shine into their lives. Please keep them into your prayers.

Also we had all the kids from HHCH come over yesterday, as always it is a lot of fun. They played on the trampoline, with toys, raided my guava trees, looked at photos, we had a big meal out in the garden and the kids actually asked for seconds on salad! That is a first, it's something we have been making them eat at the home 3 times a week and at first they hated it, never having anything like that in the village. But they are really enjoying it now. Here's a few photos:

Jude and Bena out in the garden, munching on guavas

Seth teaching the boys how to play Connect 4

Legos and cars

No comments: