Helping orphans, reaching the lost and needy

Monday, October 18, 2010

Sandrine update

Sandrine is doing so well and fitting right in at the Children's Home. She went to the hospital for a check-up this week. The doctor reexamined her feet  (this time she wasn't screaming her head off). The doctor said that there is no reason why she shouldn't walk, we just need to keep stretching out those muscles. Tim managed to find her a small walker in town, such an answer to prayer! Sandrine has been using it and really getting around fast. As you can see from her knees in the photos she still likes to crawl but we are being pretty strict with Sandrine to use her walker when she is outside. It is wonderful to see her so happy and full of life. We have noticed that she likes to whack the other kids if they do something to upset her, or touch her when she doesn't want them too. I'm guessing she had to be pretty tough to look after herself in the village! So we are working with her to stop that. She is already picking up a lot of English and when I gave her a book from the library today she said thank you with no one prompting her. She's a quick learner!

 Using the walker


Standing by herself
 Taking a couple of steps by herself

 Big smiles

Laughing at the dog that was running around :D

I have been spending Thursday afternoons up at HHCH to help any of the children with their homework. I have really been enjoying the time I spend with them, where we can just sit, chat, and laugh. I'm there on Monday's and Wednesday's afternoons too but I'm teaching Bible class, running the library, checking on the kitchen, etc. so I don't have a lot of time to just sit and chat with the kids (especially since Jordan was born). 

Some things I saw at HHCH this week that made my heart happy. Ma returning from the market and Tahirih running up to meet her and giving her the biggest hug. Cidoni telling me that Helping Hand's is the best orphanage. All the kid's clapping and cheering as Sandrine walked around the table by herself.

No comments: