Helping orphans, reaching the lost and needy

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hannibal, Missouri

We have this awesome little app on our phone that shows us where all the free RV dumps sites are (a necessity, let me tell ya). As we were traveling up from St. Louis to East Iowa, I noticed that there was dump site in Hannibal, MO. It sounded so familiar yet I couldn't think why. Thanks to google, I soon discovered that it was the home town of Samuel Clemens, one of my favourites. I have pretty much read everything Mark Twain has written, I love his short stories but A Tramp Abroad is probably my favorite.  And of course I have read Tom Sawyer to the boys and I must have talked to Josh about him before (I didn't remember) but he knew a bunch about him. The joy of being on the road, especially in an RV, with no strict deadlines, is that we could pull over and spend the afternoon in Hannibal. First we went to the Mark Twain Museum and then his childhood home.

There was a lady there (Gladys Coggswell) that was impersonating a slave during the civil war. She was pretty captivating and as we were the only ones there she really honed in on us. She even taught the boys a song (The Three-Eyed Cat).  We all really enjoyed it. 


There was a bunch of original Norman Rockwell sketches and paintings in the museum... very impressive!




Giving Tom a hand....


Mark Twain's House

Afterwards we had homemade root beer floats at a little diner, delicious!! So if you ever find yourself in Hannibal, Missouri, I highly recommend you stopping and checking out the museum.

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" Mark Twain

No comments: