Helping orphans, reaching the lost and needy

Monday, September 30, 2013

Heading to India

For those of you that don't know, on Wednesday I'm flying to India for two weeks. Win Our Nations has a Florida based team heading there to visit the WON Orphanage and Bible School. It's going to be pretty amazing, my parents are leading the team so I will get to hang out with them (which doesn't happen very often). A close friend that visited us for a month last year is also on the team. So it is going to be totally awesome!! Can you tell I'm excited?! I have never been away from all my kids for that long before, in fact Jordan's current separation time is just one night... so that is going to be hard. I am also really going to miss Jake.... I fly on our on our 14th anniversary.  But I am excited about flying by myself, who knows I might actually get to watch a whole movie, read a book, finish a sudoko puzzle, have a meaningful conversation with my neighbor (something I haven't done since having kids). I also have a six hour layover in Johannesburg. I told Jake last week that I could be eating a Big Mac in less then 7 days!!.  It will be nice to experience a little bit of "development" (and by this I mean meandering around Duty Free trying out free perfume samples and thumbing through magazine at the kiosks) even if just for a few hours. 

But most of all I am looking forward to experiencing India; the smells, sights, and tastes. I'm excited about meeting the WON staff that I have heard so much about, and communicated with only through emails. I look forward to hugging Praveen, an orphan that we have sponsored for the past seven years (plus the other 40+ children). I hope to observe how they are running the Children's Home and see if we can't improve on how things are running here. WON India bought land a few years back and is already building on it: they have a coconut farm plus a Water Buffalo venture. It will be great to see where WON Cameroon could be in a few years time too. 

I am very grateful that Geri, the itinerant teacher with our home schooling co-op, will be teaching the boys school for the two weeks I'm gone. I won't feel like I have to catch up on anything when I get back. It is also a nice change for the boys.

I know Jake is going to do awesome while I'm gone. I'm sure the kids won't even miss me as they'll probably be able to play Wii without time limits, throw footballs in the house, eat as much chocolate on their bread as they like, and in general, have an awesome time with their Dad. While the cat's away.... :D




No comments: