Helping orphans, reaching the lost and needy

Monday, August 6, 2007

July 24th

The Baka chief brought a baby called Carlos to the property yesterday. Carlos is 2 but extremely tiny and looks under the age of 1. He isn’t actually a Baka but lives close to them. He had fallen into the fire and burned he foot, leg and his private area severely. It was really awful… they said it happen 4 days ago. Most of his skin was gone and it was absolutely filthy. I helped one of the leaders clean the wounds, the water was steaming of his leg as we put it on. We decided that Jake would take them into town to the clinic there. It’s only 5 miles away but they don’t have the money to pay for the bills and also they don’t speak French so it’s really hard for them (hospitals will not treat anyone here without payment first). So Jake took the boy and mother down and the doctors cut all the dead skin of and cleaned it up, they also put him on a drip. (it cost a total of about $30.00) They wanted to keep the baby over night so we explain that to the mother and thought she understood. But that night she was back here with the baby again, we will take her back today to get the dressing changed. It is amazing how they don’t understand the basics of keeping a wound clean as the mother tried to set the baby down in the dirt. I told she must keep the baby clean, that it is a serious wound. So once again there is a huge need for this clinic that will be providing help and also classes on basic hygiene. Please keep little Carlos in your prayers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey it is so great to hear how the summer is going with you and the TMI.I am so happy that the clinic is starting to be built.
Just reading about this little child with the burns shows me what a huge need these people have.....I wanted to reach through the computer and help her clean her burns. I wish that the people in this country understood just how blessed they truly are. I think that every week I work I am able to help a child take care of there burns and how little it cost or effort it takes to help them get better. yet it seems a world away something as simple a as a burn can and may be life threatening. I am praying for you guys all the time and please let us know if we can do anything!!!

Love you all

Anonymous said...

Oh my - between the little niece, Carlos and now the baby it must be very difficult to witness such devastating hurt & sadness.
I will include everyone in my prayers.
GOD BLESS YOU & JACOB for all you are doing.
Love & prayers, Grammie