Helping orphans, reaching the lost and needy

Monday, August 6, 2007

July 28th

The bugs have been pretty bad lately my arms are covered in bites. Praise God it’s not mosquitoes but these sort of horse flies. I was cleaning Seth’s feet the other day and notice a hard dark bump and though it might be a corn or calluse. Then that night Jake said his foot was hurting and he had the same thing, so we realized it was a worm or a chigoe. I cut it open with our letherman and out popped a little sack with a worm inside, soooooo disgusting. Jake actually had a total of 9! We got Seth’s one out when he was sleeping and Josh had one too. I came in second with 3 J. The team also had a bunch, some in their hands too. The pastor told they are in the dirt… so we’ve been making sure we have clean socks on every day and wash our hands a lot.

The Baka came over last night and taught us a song. It was so great as we got to learn a little of their language. It was also difficult as they are very soft spoken and the language has very soft sound so trying to get them to emphasize a word was hard but I think we did pretty good. Here’s a few words in Baka (I have no idea if the spelling is right).

Komba – God,

Kombanga – our God

Djoko - good

Jesu – Jesus

We had a camp fire again tonight and the Baka came to practice the song with us again. We roasted marshmallows and they joined in and seem to really enjoy them. The chief liked his extra crispy! It is so wonderful to build a relationship with this tribe, they are so friendly and open. We really praise God for the opportunity to be out here for a more extended amount of time as the longest we had been out here before was only 5 days.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am LOVING reading all your posts about building the clinic and life in the bush. I really hope that everything comes together to get that clinic up and running ... reading the stories about those children was incredible. You all are making such a huge impact on a people of Cameroon that so many people overlook or don't even know exist. I hope that someday I will get to return to Cameroon and have you put me to work :) Oh, and many props for being able to handle those worms ... the many perks of Afica!!

Anonymous said...

I am loving reading all your posts too, although the whole "chigoe" thing & what you had to do was ALMOST too much for a Grammie :)
I love you!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing and enlightening others about the plight among the poorest of the poor. May God continue to bless you and your family as well as efforts.

Although I am familiar with the situation. It is good to read someone elses perspective and experience.

Blessings!