Helping orphans, reaching the lost and needy

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Home School

For anyone interested, below is a list of the curriculum my boys are using this year. Josh is a lot more independent in 4th grade, and Seth can do much more by himself now that he is in 2nd. Teaching’s been a lot easier than last year so far (I know, I’m only in the third week). We start at 8am and we’re all done by 1pm (with a 20 minute break at 10). We do four days of regular school with Friday as our fun morning. We do art, PE, music, and usually some science project (more work for me but the boys love it).

This year we switched to A Beka Language arts as that’s not one of Sonlight’s strong points. The difference is AMAZING. The A Beka workbooks are great and Josh (my little math and science dude) is doing so much better already with creative writing and grammar. It was like pulling teeth to try and get him to write an interesting story or poem last year. Sonlight’s history is wonderful though, I think I enjoy it more than the kids. I never studied American history before so I’m learning along with them. Sonlight does have a LOT of reading (history books, plus read-alouds) but I cherish cuddling up on the couch and reading with the boys.

Jordan does great, I feed her right before school and then she’ll usually sleep most of the morning. Jude on the other hand is at the stage where he is wanting to be a part of everything so I am trying to come up with creative ways to keep him occupied so he’s not distracting the boys all morning (anyone know a good play doe recipe?). So here’s the list:



Grade 4:

Sonlight Core 4 history (American history part 2)

11 read-alouds

18 readers

Saxon math 5/4

Sequential Spellings (2)

A Beka Developing good health workbook

A Beka Understanding God’s world (science)

A Beka Languae arts (God’s gift of language A)

A Reason For Handwriting (D)
Word Study (E)

Wordly Wise 3000

Map skills for today workbook


Grade 2:

Sonlight Core 2 history (World history part 2)

15 read-alouds

21 readers

Saxon math 2

Sequential Spelling (1)

A Beka Health, Safety, and Manners

A Beka Enjoying God’s world (science)

A Beka Languae arts (2)

A Reason For Handwriting (B)

Word Study (B)

Explode the code 4, 5, and 6

Map skills for today workbook

5 comments:

Kate said...

We love making kool aid playdough...I don't know how easy it is for you to get kool aid...but I love this stuff!

1. Mix together flour, salt, oil, and Kool-aid.
2. Add the cup of boiling water. Mix well.
3. Knead the mixture until it forms a soft dough.
4. Have fun!
5. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.

Tips:

1. Any other unsweetened, powdered drink mix may be substituted.
2. Expect colored hands :-)
3. Non-toxic... could be eaten, but won't taste very good.

Greg and Amy said...

That sounds great Holly! Many similiar things to what we used. Except for History we used the Story of the World.
Also here is a great edible play dough recipe: (That way you don't have to worry about him eating it when you're not looking!)
1 c. Peanut BUtter
1 c. corn syrup
1 1/4 c. Powdered (icing) sugar
1 1/4 c. powdered milk
Mix, and play with

Here's a great non-edible one too:
2 c. flour
1 c. salt
1 c. water
1 tsp. oil

Mix together. Note that this play dough will harden in the air so it must not be left out.

Hope this helps you. Have a great day Holly!!

Melanie said...

I've been following your blog for a little while now. I homeschooled all 3 of my kids and made very similar choices in curriculum!! They have all graduated, but I do look back with very fond memories!!

Here's a playdough recipe that my mom used with us as kids... and I used with my kids too!

Bring to boil 1 1/2 cups of water and add 1/2 cup of salt, stir in. Remove from heat. Add 1 TBsp oil, 2 TBsp alum, 3-4 drops food coloring (optional). Quickly add 2 Cups flour and mix, then knead into play consistancy. (the dough is HOT at first, so be careful).

Schilinski Clan said...

Thanks for all the Play doe recipes... I will give them a go. Jude will be very thankful!

Anonymous said...

And Jude will be full!

:)

Like the new look of your blog and I love you!

XO Kathy aka Grammie