Helping orphans, reaching the lost and needy

Friday, March 23, 2012

Horse adventures

Had a long day today, so long in fact that when I was wondering at 4pm why I was so hungry, I realized that I hadn't eaten anything all day! But it was a productive day. We were expecting Social Service's delegate to come to the children's home at 8:30 this morning. I was scrambling to get as much of school done as possible before Jake called me to tell me they were there. As WON is going through the process of registering as a NGO in the country, this is all part of the evaluation the government does. It was a very good meeting and I think the delegates were impressed with what they saw at the orphanage.  And I must say HHCH was sparkling, they kids did a great job of making sure everything was neat and arranged. We got done just before noon. I rushed back to the house, to get ready for our next meeting with another branch of the government that is doing something like a background check on the WON staff and checking to see that we are really doing what we said we are doing. We headed there just before 1 and were in the office for a good couple of hours. Lots of questions about our education, qualifications, workers, properties, churches we attend, etc. It was long and draining to say the least. Now that this interview is over, this branch will be visiting the various aspects of WON (HHCH, Car Washes, Bible School) to see they are doing what we're say they're doing. All in all, I think it was an excellent interview. Even thought these meetings are tiring it is exciting that the registration process of WON is moving forward (it can take up to 7 years!). 

When we got back Jake and the boys headed up into the hills tonight to camp out under the stars. We give the horses back at the end of this month so this might be one of their last opportunities to go for a long ride. I know they will have a lot of fun together. When we told the boys that the horses were going back they both cried, I was a little surprised to tell you the truth. The horses are a lot of work for them, as we make them do everything. They are up at 5:45am to feed them and take them down to the pasture (about a mile away), then they have to pick them up each evening. There is lots of mucking out to do, lots of feeding, grooming, spraying, etc. but they really have enjoyed it. So looks like we will be getting at least one horse when we get back from the States at the end of the year. 

Of course Strider had to go with them too

The boys are all set

And they're off (making memories with Dad)

I on the other hand, decided to head down town with Jude and Jordan, who I hadn't seen all day, and went to Prescafe, a lovely little cafe (the local hang out for all the peace corp workers). They do the most amazing mango smoothies! So it was really nice to have a little bit of alone time with Jude and Jordan. I am really hoping they will sleep into at least 6:30 tomorrow so I can have a bit of a sleep in. Then planning to have a relaxing morning in the garden, yay!


No comments: