Helping orphans, reaching the lost and needy

Saturday, October 29, 2011

I made pepperoni!!

You can't buy pepperoni in Cameroon and since the Skis LOVE it, it is always something we bring back with us and ration out. Or if someone asks what they can send, pepperoni is usually on the list. It's so good on pizza, in a sandwich, or in a breakfast burrito. Well, my cousin, on her blog,  recommended a recipe for pepperoni (http://tammysrecipes.com/tammys_spicy_pepperoni). Now, we have been making our own pork sausages for quite some time (breakfast, bratz, and italian) but I have never thought of making pepperoni  before. I've always assumed that it would be a huge, long process with lots of ingredients that I couldn't get. But it's actually pretty simple. I had all the ingredients beside the mustard seed. I ground my own beef and crushed my own spices and it turned out great! I didn't having curing salt, which apparently is what gives the pepperoni it's red color, but regular salt worked fine. The sausage tastes amazing and the texture is great too. This is definitely something I will be making monthly. Yes, one less thing we need to ship over here now! Now if I can just master mozzarella chesse I will be able to make a "true" home-made pizza.


6 comments:

Julie Willis said...

Yeah! I'm so glad it worked for you.I just finished up some the other day and need to make more. You should try it with the pork.

When you come home you'll have to try our kefir soda. Have you tried making the homemade mozz from that link I sent you a couple years back?

Schilinski Clan said...

Yeah, that's a great idea, I'll try that pork next. Yes, I did try that mozz recipe and few others but to no great success... the texture is all wrong and doesn't really taste like mozz. I am much better at "soft"cheeses. I think the biggest problem is that I have only powdered milk. But I am determined I will figure it out one of these days, just need to invest a couple of days into it.

phillip said...

grinding your meat twice will help with texture, surely someone will have tenderquick or a local version of it ask a butcher that smokes meat

Schilinski Clan said...

Phillip... I always grind my meat twice, a must for beef. Um, no butchers as such here, just men with machetes and half a cow :D... But the texture was actually great. BTW, how do I know you?

phillip said...

son Samuel was at your place a couple of years ago, left his jacket

Andrea said...

I always knew you were superwoman. Now you have confirmed my suspicions :)