Helping orphans, reaching the lost and needy

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Canning

I got my mum to put a  pressure cooker and a bunch of canning jars in our truck when we shipped it. I've never canned before but it seems that I'm always cooking up stuff that would be great to do a whole bunch of and then can so I have it for a few months (salsa, sauces, fruits etc.). So, yesterday I had my first go at it and fortunately I didn't blow myself up :). I made a bunch of BBQ sauce up, canned it and now have BBQ sauce for the months ahead, so cool. I really want to try making some dill pickles as Jake and the boys absolutely LOVE them! I managed to find some Dill seed so as soon as that grows I can go ahead and make some.
 
I also got to cook using the pressure cooker, I made a beef stew. Meat here is generally really tough and has to be cooked and cooked. I do have a crock pot but with the electric frequently going out it's not always the best solution. So I threw everything in the pressure cooker, boiled for 12 minutes and voila! I had the most delicious meal! The meat was sooooo soft, I'm hooked, I can see I'm going to be cooking with my new gadget all the time now.




See what's new at AOL.com and Make AOL Your Homepage.

3 comments:

Ben and Stacy said...

you know what... i canned apricot jam for the first time last year and this year made more jam and some caned fruit which was so easy i just couldn't belive it! enjoy your new toy! -stacy

Anonymous said...

That is so cool that you have a pressure cooker. We want to get one too, but I do not think it would work out too good in our house. We do not have to room for one! I remember Naomi making us dill pickles at Boot Camp back with TMI - they were so good! Hope all is going well - enjoy the cooker!

ADAM!

:)

Naine Crew said...

I am a major pressure cooker fan too!! Been fun to read up on your blog...really look forward to seeing you guys. Hugs to all. W