Helping orphans, reaching the lost and needy

Friday, June 29, 2007

smelly fish...

Today I had the privilege to speak at a regional children's workers retreat. My topic was using visual aids for teaching, which is definitely not a common practice in Cameroon. Most people just teach the kids, with nothing to show them or keep their interest. Teachers use the excuse that they can't get resources in Cameroon, which is partly true. So I taught on things that we can use here to help teach and make the Bible come alive for the kids, particularly homing in on the 5 senses:- bread and Fish for story of five loves and fish, perfume for lady that washed Jesus feet, sand for foolish builder etc. I think it went really well, at the end I taught the story of Jonah in three different ways, the first by pictures, next by acting it out from a Ninevehite's point of view and lastly I got the "Kids" (or in this case, volunteers) to act it out. I had a bunch of props such as a fan and squirted them with water (on the boat in a storm), bubbles for being under the water, and a blanket to put them under with a can of smelly sardines to feel like being in the belly of the fish. Everyone was cracking up, it was a lot of fun and I think I got the point across. Anyway, please pray that this will impact the children teachers in our region and that it will make a difference in their lessons.

Spraying my volunteers :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holly, Great ideas!! You are VERY resourceful..
:)
Love you, Grammie