Helping orphans, reaching the lost and needy

Thursday, September 1, 2011

I'm back!

I know, I have severely been neglecting my blog but just so much has been going on I honestly haven't had time to sit down and write. But life is back to somewhat of a schedule since school has started up so I should be able to blog a couple times a week again (famous last words!). 


So since my last post our family has grown a little larger, we now have three horses and a snake; an african burrowing python to be exact. We were also given a monkey but I had to put my foot down somewhere (much to the dismay of my boys!). But we did find the little primate a home and he is doing well (current animal count at the Ski house: 2 dogs (one is pregnant), 2 cats, 1 turtle, 1 chameleon, 11 chickens, 3 horses, and 1 snake).  We are only looking after the horses for a year for some missionary friends that have gone back to the States. Since coming to Bamenda we have been contemplating getting horses but it is a big investment and lots of work so we wanted to make sure the boys were old enough to handle the responsibility. This way we don't have to buy the horses and we get to experience what it is like and at the end of the year the boys can decided if they want to carry on with all the work. So here is how school days are looking for us right now.


5:15 rise and shine for Jake and I
5:30 I go for a run
5:45 Jake wakes up the boys so they can take the horses down to the pasture (a mile away)
6:30 I get back and the boys are just about getting back too and they finish their chores
6:45 Wake up Jude and Jordan if their not already up
7:00 Breakfast 
7:25 Take Jude to school (only a five minute walk)
7:45 Take shower
8:00 Do devos (Josh and Seth too)
8:30 Start school
12:30 Pick up Jude
1:00 Lunch
2:00 Josh finishes up school
3:00 Head to our afternoon program (kid's club, tutoring, staff meeting, prayer meeting, teaching at Bible school or music practice at church)
6:00 Boys go get horses from pasture and feed them
6:30 supper
7:00 Family devos
7:30 Showers for kids
8:00 Bed time for Jude and Jordan
8:30 Bed time for Josh and Seth
10:00 Bed for Jake and I


Phew! So this is the plan anyway, so far this week it has been working like a charm but of course it is the first week! And Jude hasn't started school yet, it starts on Monday. The horses are pushing school back half an hour but I think it is going to work. The boys haven't complained about the horses yet even thought it is a lot for them. They have a lot of horse poop to pick up (which my compost is loving!) but they do get to ride all Saturday and Sunday afternoon. I have been so proud of them, they are doing so well, they are like pros already! They pretty much ride bare back most of the time too.


Our Co-workers, the Borns just got in today after being gone to the States for five month. It's nice to have them back especially to help out with the workload, since Bible School starts next week. 


Like I said above, Jude starts school on Monday, he is going to the same school that the kids from the Children's home are going to. He will be in the same class as his best buddies, Bena and Dorcas. It is Nursery 1. We'll see how he does being the only white kid in school, but he can stand up for himself pretty well and of course he has 19 friends there already so I'm sure he will be fine. He is soooo excited, every time we go past the school he shouts, "That's my school." We got his uniform this week, I'll post pictures soon.


Well, I have TONS to blog about, hopefully I can catch up in the next week or two. 



No comments: