Helping orphans, reaching the lost and needy

Friday, September 2, 2011

School books

So I had a huge ordeal getting the boys' school books to Cameroon this year, it has never been an issue before. I usually order from 3 different places, Sonlight, A Beka, and CBD.com where I get all my consumables and math. I just get it shipped to my parents and then they send it with a team or intern. I have always gotten it on time before. Well, in January a church blessed us with finances specifically for school curriculum. I went ahead and got a few extra charts, posters, computer programs, and books since I had the money all for it (it was a happy day!). I had it all shipped to my parents. There was a team scheduled for June so I wasn't concerned about getting it here. But then the team was rescheduled for next year so I had to look for another way to get it here. One of our Cameroonian friends just started a business of shipping containers from the States to here. He had already done it a few times with success so we decided to mail our boxes up to his warehouse in Georgia. It got put on the container and then low and behold, the container got stolen! Apparently this happens all the time. Our friend flew back to the States as quickly as he could to sort things out. It took about a month to find it and inventory all the things. My boxes were nowhere insight but I was told they could be inside a vehicle as it wasn't opened. Very frustrating! At this point it was July and our home schooling co-op started early August, I really needed my books by then. I also did not want to start school late as my goal is to finish early before we travel next year. I had a few days where I couldn't even think about it as it made me sick but after some prayer and a look at priorities I got my head on straight. We decided to go ahead and reorder everything and have it shipped directly here, expensive, but that seemed our only option. We have never had any trouble with losing boxes before but there is always that risk. PTL, Sonlight was awesome and did the cheapest possible shipping for a 40lb box. They also said I can return my previously bought curriculum if it does show up and they will give me a full refund, I love Sonlight! After emailing CBD and explaining the circumstances, they actually sent out my whole order for free and didn't even charge me shipping! How incredible is that?! Both of those boxes arrived the week before home schooling started. A Beka was the only one where shipping was way too much so I got it sent to my parents and then they shipped it here for much less. PTL, that box just arrived today so we are all set for school! We will also be getting a refund from our friend as soon as the container arrives and all the paperwork is sorted out. So happy I have a wonderful Father in heaven who is into details and worked the whole mess out. I think in the future I am just going to direct ship again as it is the most hassle free way.


So here is the what we are doing this year if your interested:


Josh:
Sonlight Core 5 (history, geography, readers and read-a-louds all focus on the Eastern Hemisphere)
Sequential spelling 3
Saxon Math 5/6
Abeka Language arts work book B
Abeka Science, Investingating God Worlds workbook
Map Skills for today 5
Wordly Wise 5
Typing instructor CD


Seth:
Sonlight Core 3 (history, geography, readers and read-a-louds all focus on early American history)
Sequential spelling 2
Saxon Math 3
Abeka language art workbook 3
Abeka science; Exploring God's World and  Health Safety, and Manners 3
Wordly Wise 3
Explode the Code 7 & 8


We do the four day schedule and Friday is our "fun" day. We always have piano lessons, art, watch a Mythbusters, and try to get some sport in there too. One week down, 35 more to go!



No comments: